Monday, January 31, 2011

Veggie filled Chili in Italian Bread Bowls

Today when Rachel and I went to go get "just apples" at the grocery store, I decided that I really wanted to make chili because it was just that kind of a day. I called mom and got an ingredients list, then called later for directions, I would say based on the people who ate it up, it was delicious!
So here are the very broad instructions for a veggie filled chili:

3 carrots
half a stalk of celery (like 5 or 6 sticks)
2 onions
1/2 head of cabbage (which I added because I had some in my fridge)

Lots of Chili Powder- think 10 Tbsp
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 Tbsp Cumin
some paprika
salt and pepper

2 lbs (?) beef (I used whatever was cheapest at the store) cubed
4 cups water
4 bullion cubes (I only had chicken, so that's what I used...)

2 cans black beans
1 can tomatoes


Chop the Onions, put them in your pot and cook till they're caramelized. Add 2 chopped carrots and all but one chopped celery stalk. Cook those for a while till they get soft. Then add the spices (ok, so the chili powder, mom said to add 10 Tbsp, but I only stole maybe 3 or 4 from Rachel's house, but more would have been good, I think), the water and the beef (you can also brown the beef, but I skipped that part). That's where I added the cabbage too. Let this cook for a while (like 2 hours or so) on a med-low temp. Then about 20 minutes before you want to eat, add the can of tomatoes, and the cans of beans (drained).


Serve in these yummy bread bowls:


Yeild: makes 8 servings


Ingredients: 
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 (1/4-oz) envelopes active dry yeast
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
7 cups flour
1 Tbsp cornmeal (I'm pretty sure I didn't have this and it worked just fine.)
1 Egg white
1 Tbsp water
Stir together 2 1/2 cups water and yeast in a large bowl. Let stand 5 min. Stir in salt and oil
Add flour gradually, beating at medium speed w/ an electric mixer till soft dough forms.
Turn dough out onto a flowered surface; knead till smooth and elastic (4-6 minutes). Place in a lightly greased bowl turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85*), free from drafts, 35 min or till doubled.
Punch dough down and divide into 8 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 4 inch round loaf. Place loaves on lightly greased baking sheets sprinkled w/ cornmeal.
Cover and let rise again 35 min, or till doubled.
Stir together egg white and 1 tbsp water, brush over loaves.
Bake at 400* for 15 minutes. Brush with remaining egg mixture and bake 10 to 15 more minutes or till golden. Cool on wire racks.
Cut a 1/2 inch thick slice from top of each loaf; scoop out centers, leaving 3/4 inch shells.
Fill bread bowls w/ hot soup and serve immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment