Monday, January 31, 2011

Hummus and Pitas

After getting home, I stole a recipe from Kristen's blog and made YUMMY pitas, and hummus that actually tasted good. THEN, when I was sick of the garlic (because in true Emily style, I put 3 cloves of garlic rather than just one) I made honey-butter .

I'm not going to lie. Sometimes, I feel like I out do myself.

I'm that awesome...  (and humble)

Ok, enough about me, here's the recipe stolen from K-bob, stolen from Joy. Joy of Cooking, that is...

Pita Bread from Joy of Cooking
3 c flour
1 1/2 TBSP sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 TBSP yeast (2 pgks)
2 TBSP butter, melted
1 1/4 c room temperature water

1. Mix flour, sugar, salt and yeast in mixer. Add in butter and water. Mix about 1 minute until ingredients are combined. Knead for 10 minutes.
2. Place dough in oiled bowl, cover with plastic or a towel and let rise about an hour, or until doubled in size.
3. Preheat oven with pizza stone in it to 450 degrees. (I don't have a pizza stone, so I just used a cookie sheet, it seemed to work great)
4. Punch down dough and divide into 8 balls. Cover with plastic and let rest for 20 minutes.
5. Roll out balls into rounds, about 1/8" thick and 8" in diameter. (Thicker ones will be easier to open and fill.)

6. Place rolled out dough on heated pizza stone for 2-3 minutes, flipping half way through the cooking.

Hummus
1 can garbonzo beans (chickpeas)
2-3 TBSP lemon juice
2-3 TBSP olive oil
1 clove garlic (or 3, if you are afraid of vampires, or aren't thinking about kissing anytime soon.)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
dash of cayenne pepper and black pepper

Place garlic in food processor until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients and process until desired consistency. Add more/less lemon juice and oil depending on desired thickness. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment