Saturday, January 29, 2011

Everything's better with pie!

Have you ever seen these jars?
I must admit, I hadn't, until recently on one of my favorite blogs, Our Best Bites. You see, I blog stalk when I'm bored. And I "goodie lust." Then someday I make the things I goodie lust after. This is the story of the cutest presents ever. (Note: You can also use 'regular' tall skinny jars for this too-- see photo below)


You see I have the best institute teacher ever. And my language of love is baking. So my friend S and I decided to make her a present. They turned out to be way less labor intensive than I thought they would be.


Single Serving Pie in a Jar
(Recipe found here at Our Best Bites)
This may seem daunting, but seriously, these are so easy!
Take your favorite pie crust recipe (or just use a pre-made pie crust). There is no rolling required, you just take pinches of  the dough and press it into the jar, filling it almost up to the top.
Then fill it with 1/2 cup of your favorite pie filling or the following recipe:


2 C prepared fruit (pitted, diced, peeled, etc.)
2 T sugar- brown or white (use more or less depending on sweetness of fruit)
2 T flour- (again, more if your fruit is super juicy like cherries, less if it's pretty dry)
1 T butter (divided between the pies)
Seasonings/flavorings- cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and almond extract, citrus zest etc)



(I did half apple (with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves) and half blueberry (frozen berries and almond extract) Delish!)


You can cover with a top crust (use the jar lid as a template for that), or you can do a mini lattice,
 OR you can do a crumb topping (my personal favorite!) 


Crumb Topping (for 4-6 pies)
1/4C brown sugar
1/4 C flour
2 T oats
1/4 T cinnamon
3 T cold butter

Combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter. Add oats and stir to combine.




Now here's the great part! You have two options:


1- Put the lids on your jars, then pop them in the freezer. Now they're perfect for when you need a pie, when you need a present, or just for fun. When you're ready to bake them, take the lids off, then stick them on a cookie sheet and bake at 375* for 50-60 minutes till the tops are brown and the fillings are bubbly. 
2- Bake right away! Just stick your pies on a cookie sheet, and bake at 375* for 45 minutes.  
Enjoy on it's own, with whipped cream or with ice cream. Because after all; Everything's better with Pie!

(PS: I apologize for picture quality. I forgot my camera at home and thus these are stolen from my awesome friend's cell phone)

3 comments:

  1. These are really cute! They would make fun part desserts as well as gifts to just brighten somebody's day =) What a domestic goddess you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Girls and I can't wait to try these!!! We miss you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. huzzah for another blog to follow!!

    ReplyDelete