Monday, January 31, 2011

Carolina Style Barbecue

Can I just say that I heart my dinner group! I totally do! I love that we have so many people. I love that it means that I know 12 people in the ward fairly well... and I have a warm meal 4 days a week that I only have to think about once every 3 weeks. The down side to being in such a great dinner group is that I only have to cook once every 3 weeks, (which is a little sad, I like cooking), until I find something I really want to make, and even have most of the stuff for, but I don't get to cook for another week and a half!


So I'm telling y'all about it... that's right, y'all! Currently in my freezer, I have one of these----->
This 7 pound boston pork butt roast I got for only $1.48/lb.(Sweet deal, right?)
 I was going to do a classic BBQ style pulled pork sandwich (you know, with BBQ sauce), but then... Oh but then...

I've been missing the mission lately, and so, I'm going to do a Southern Style meal!

For the main course we'll have Southern Style Barbecue on buns with coleslaw.I suppose that people have the choice to eat the slaw on the side, but I, for one, would be so disappointed!  *(Southern Style BBQ is a vinegar based sauce rather than the tomato kind we're most used to)*

I found these awesome recipes:



Southern Style Pulled Pork BBQ

  • Pork Roast (approximately 5 pounds)
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar (that is one and a half cups, not eleven cups)
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Put roast in slow cooker and sprinkle salt and pepper over. Pour cider vinegar over. Cover with lid and cook on low for twelve hours (I cook it overnight). Remove pork roast and shred with forks (this will be very easy). Drain juices from slow cooker, reserving two cups of liquid. Return pork to slow cooker. To the reserved liquid add: Brown sugar, hot sauce, and crushed pepper flakes. Stir well. Pour over shredded pork and place lid back on. Place on low or warm setting until ready to serve.

Vinegar Slaw

  • 4-1/2 to 5 Cups finely chopped or shredded cabbage (about half a head)
  • 1 Cup white vinegar
  • 1 Cup sugar
Place cabbage in a bowl. Add in vinegar and sugar. Stir. Cover and place in refrigerator a few hours or overnight before serving. Will make more juice over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment