Monday, January 31, 2011

Carmel Apple Cake

You know the song "Wake me up when September ends"?  That's how I feel right now, except that it's October... so maybe "wake me up when the semester ends"!  Life is just, fun. And that's all I have to say about that... So, without further ado: The most delicious sweet thing I've eaten today (and today, in case you were wondering, I had 2 apples, 2 bite sized candy bars, a swirl ice cream cone, a donut, a serving of stroganoff at dinner group, some hummus w/ tortilla, and a piece of this... [which might be my breakfast tomorrow, and every other meal till it's gone...]

Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze
Courtesy of Kristen :) 
Apple Cake
1 1/2 c flour
1 c sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
1/2 c canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c fined chopped apples
1/2 c pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)

Brown Sugar Glaze
1/2 c packed brown sugar
3 TBSP butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP heavy cream (we used milk)

For the cake:
Heat oven to 350. Grease 8" pan (round or square) and set aside.

In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir with a whisk to mix everything together.

In separate bowl, mix eggs with hand mixer until light in color and foamy. Add oil and vanilla and beat well. Stir in the flour mixture with a spoon and continue stirring the batter until the flour disappears. (Ok, so at this point my batter was WAY DRY, so dry in fact, that I skyped Kristen and asked her about the consistancy. I had to add some applesauce to make it an actual batter) Add the apples and nuts and sitr to mix them into the batter.

Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

For the glaze: (I started making the glaze right after I took the cake out of the oven, it was good timing, I thought)
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture comes to a gentle boil. Cook for 3-5 minutes.

Spoon the hot glaze over the hot-from-the-oven cake. Let the glazed cake cool completely before serving. (So that was the hardest part of the whole cake baking experience... the waiting for the cake to cool completely, but Oh My, it was so worth it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment