Monday, February 14, 2011

THE BEST Valentines Dessert EVER Part 1: The Chocolate Bowls

I'm not going to lie (and I have 15 other people who can back me up) this might be the most delicious recipe that I have ever made... It was so good.

You'll soon find out that sister's cafe is one of my most favorite blogs ever (and!! my sister just figured out that one of the sisters lives in my hometown and attends church in the same building as my family! How sweet is that? I love the small world!) So you can find the recipe there, but I'll also put it up with my pictures, and observations.

Edible Chocolate bowls with Dark Chocolate Cake, White Chocolate Mousse and White Chocolate Drizzle
(I know-- there's so much chocolate in that title it's almost a crime... almost)

Chocolate Bowls: 


1 Pkg Chocolate Almond Bark (I'm sure you could use more expensive chocolate or melting chips-- but I'm on a college student budget, and I found it on sale at Target)
15 Balloons-- water balloons are what a lot of websites suggested, but I found that smaller party balloons-- 7" worked really really well and weren't as hard to blow up as water balloons.

In my cooking class we learned that despite what the directions say, the BEST way to melt dipping chocolate is to chop it like this:
Note the use of my Alaska Ulu and the cutting board it came with-- I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

and then melt it in the microwave in 30 second intervals at 50% power, stirring well in between melting. The chocolate should never get hot, or even warm (some blogs talked about the balloons popping, but I made 30ish and had no popped balloons!)

Use a deep bowl to make dipping the balloons easier and keep lots of chocolate in the bowl. Place on cookie sheets with parchment paper covering. Let sit for a few hours, or over night, or outside when it's cold out-- but be careful, the sun might come out and you'll get melted bowls (this is the voice of experience speaking):


You just cut a little hole in the balloons and let the air leak out, then let them sit for a few minutes and then peel the balloon away from the chocolate carefully!

I used a brick of White Chocolate that I had lying around to decorate the inside-- cute huh?
But when they turn out well, you get something LOVELY like:

No comments:

Post a Comment