Sunday, February 27, 2011

quick and easy (and delicious) bread sticks

Have you made the cauliflower soup yet? Well why not? I made another batch (this one for just me) on Saturday (with cauliflower purchased specially for the event for 69cents a pound!) and tonight after having left over pizza for breakfast... and lunch (quick hint-- heat your pizza in a frying pan, with a lid on it, over med-low heat and it will be almost as magically delicious as it was the night before!) Anyway, I decided to pull out the soup leftovers and go a little crazy. The only problem was that my pantry (read: ikea shelves in the corner) have no bread like material. I didn't want to make bread/rolls as they take *at least* an hour, and require yeast (which I am currently out of.). Anyway, I googled, and found a recipe that was super easy and quick.


(this picture is from a second batch-- Rachel and I made cheesy delicious bread sticks to go with tomato soup!)
Soft no-yeast bread sticks


1 ¼ cups flour
2 tsp sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
⅔ cup milk (or less)
3 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
2 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
Combine first 4 ingredients and gradually add milk to form a soft dough.
Knead gently 3 or 4 times on a floured surface.
Roll out into a rectangle about 10″ x 5″ and cut into 12 sticks.
Put the melted butter into a large baking dish (jelly roll pan or 9x13 pyrex) and turn the bread sticks to coat them with the butter. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if you like.
Bake at 450°F for 14 to 18 minutes.
Serve warm.
You could also do amazing things with cheese, herbs, garlic, etc. I just went for simple plain bread sticks and they were delicious with a bowl of the cauliflower soup! 
On a random, upsetting side note: I went to cut the bread sticks from the rolled dough and... I COULDN'T FIND MY BASH 'n' CHOP!!! I don't know where it got put away after someone else unloaded the dishwasher! I had to use a table knife to cut my bread sticks... it was a sad sad day

1 comment:

  1. well, when you find out what happened to your bash n' chop, you can do some bashing and chopping of your own.

    ReplyDelete