Sunday, February 6, 2011

Broccoli

I love broccoli. I like it in soups, in casseroles, plain, with dip, with butter, lemon, there are just so many ways to eat it. And it's healthy! Well... until you drench it in cheese... then it's debatable. Every Sunday my family gets together for what we call "Sister's Dinner." "Family" includes me, my younger sister, her roommate S (who is also our other sister's sister-in-law), S's fiancĂ©e, and S's brother. Yes, it's all very convoluted, but we love each other. 
Anyway, we rotate who makes dinner, who brings dessert and who brings the veggie/salad. Today was my day to bring the veggie and I wanted to try something that was new for me.

I've made white sauces before, biscuits and gravy are among my favorite foods, but I've never made a cheese sauce for broccoli. After this EASY adventure, I'm thinking that I might make the cheese sauce but cut the broccoli smaller and use it as a topping for baked potatoes. Sorry about the lack of pictures. But it's delicious!



Ingredients

6 cups broccoli florets 
2 tablespoons butter 
2 tablespoons unbleached white flour 
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder 
Sea salt, to taste 
1 cup low fat milk 
1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated 
White pepper, to taste

Method

Steam broccoli until crisp tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in flour, mustard powder and salt to taste. Gradually stir in milk, whisking over med-low heat until thickened. Add cheese, stirring until completely melted. Season to taste with white pepper. Pour over steamed broccoli and serve at once. Boy was it good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment