Saturday, February 12, 2011

Fortunate?

This time of the year signifies the beginning of the new Chinese new year! 2011 is the year of the rabbit
This week was a little (read: A LOT) stressful and on Wednesday (?) night, to blow off some steam, I made Fortune Cookies! They were way easier than I thought they would be! My roommate helped me come up with clever fortunes. 

I got the recipe here, and the directions are pretty easy!

Fortune Cookies
1/2 C flour- If you have bread flour, use it. (I didn't.)
1/2 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla- or sometimes I use 1/2 almond 1/2 vanilla (I am in love with almond, so I did the half and half.)
2 egg whites
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend to combine. Be sure to blend till it's completely smooth!


 Place in a container and chill 1 hour.


Preheat oven to 400°.

Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper*(I didn't have any when I made them, but used a sprayed cookie sheet, it worked fine, but I think that the parchment would be WAY better). Draw 3-4 (3-inch) circles on paper (Here, I dipped a glass in flour and put it on the greased sheet). Turn paper over. Spoon 1 teaspoon batter into center of each of the drawn circles; spread evenly to fill circle. 

Bake at 400° for 5-6 minutes or until the cookies are brown just around the edges and a little toward the centers. Remove from the oven. Let sit for a few seconds (just a few!) before removing from pan. Working quickly, loosen edges of cookies with a spatula, and turn over.

Place fortune along the center of 1 cookie. Fold cookie over so the edges meet ; press edges together. Gently pull the ends of the cookie down over the rim of a small bowl (or jar); hold for a few seconds or until set. Repeat procedure with remaining cookies. Makes about 24 cookies.



No comments:

Post a Comment