Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Springy Scarf!

I have been feeling crafty lately. By crafty I mean like I want to do crafts. I've found a bunch of blogs that have great ideas but a lot of the ideas are for home, or involve expensive supplies that I don't have. But I saw this scarf on Iron Violet Designs and after getting home from school/work/review session today, I decided to try it! It says "no sew" but I didn't have fabric glue, so I used a needle and thread (to avoid pulling out my machine) and I am thrilled with the results. (I even made two today!)

You'll need--
A t-shirt. (I'd probably use a new t-shirt if I had one, also, the bigger the better-- you'll get a fuller scarf)
I used a lunch sized correll plate to trace circles onto the shirt. I got 9 circles. I didn't put a circle around the little logo because I wanted to save it. 
Then you cut the circles into spirals. Make the spirals about 2". I just free handed, so they're not perfect, but I'm good with that. 
Then I made one stack of 4 and one stack of 5 and sewed each together:
Then sewed them all together: (It's not pretty, but I'll cover it up in a second)
The t-shirt was from my semester in Nauvoo 5 years ago, and it had a hole or two in it (and I have another 2 from that semester) so I was ready to lose the t-shirt, but I was not ready to get rid of the sentiment. 
I tied this over the top to cover the stitches.
And here's the finished product! On the inspiration blog she uses a flower at the neck to hold the 2 sides together... I may have to do that at some point :) 
Except... It was so fun/easy I couldn't stop! 
I made another one! 

I think I may be scouring the DI for fun printed t-shirts to make another one out of :)

1 comment:

  1. Way cute! DIY dish has several scarfidoos and they do one like this. I like the idea of using a patterned t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete