Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Omelets a la Ziploc!

So once upon a time I went with my roommate for the weekend to her house in South Jordan. Saturday morning for breakfast she asked if I wanted omelets. I did, so we went to the kitchen. THEN she shared this amazing trick with me! She told me that her family does this for Christmas morning every year. It's so easy, and the easiest way to make omelets for a group that turn out perfectly every time with everyone getting exactly what they want.

Always looking for something to test on my dinner group, I decided to go for it, and according to my dinner group, it was a huge success.

Here's what you'll need:

I tried making it with off brand freezer bags once-- bad idea. Take my word for it. Get the quart sized Ziploc freezer bags. With the write on places it's perfect to keep everyone's omelet separate.
2-ish eggs per person-- 3 for the big eaters.
and then the fillings:
Diced ham
Bacon
Shredded cheese
Salt and pepper
Onions
Red Peppers
Mushrooms
Green Onions
Pretty much whatever you would put in a regular omelet.
You put all of the ingredients into the ziploc bag-- what ever you want, just seal up the bag and squish it all around.
While you are assembling your omelet in the bag, get a big pot of water boiling. Big enough for all the bags to fit into. (For dinner group I'll put a few big pots on to boil).

Then, just drop the bags into the boiling water. Set a timer for 15 to 20 minutes, and then poof! You have a perfectly formed, tasty, beautiful omelets. Yum!

I served it with orange-mango juice, hash browns, and a parfait (made with homemade granola!).

Look how pretty it is :)

And, check out the pie/cake, a pike, a pake?
Easy: You take a pie, bake it according to directions.
Put 1 3/4 cup cake batter (I used spice) in the bottom of a 9" cake pan. Squish the pie on top of it (you have to be careful for the transfer.)
Cover with more cake batter to cover the whole top.
Bake time on the box on a cookie sheet-- boil over is a definite option.
Frost and look how cool that looks! 
I know you want a bite (even if it is a little blurry).

2 comments:

  1. A) homemade granola is bomb (yeah i just said that)
    B) i've tried the omelets (at girls camp actually) and they are way less stressful than normal omelets, i highly recommend.
    C)the pike looks interesting...we'll see if i try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah!! I love this omelet idea! I can't make an omelet for the world it ALWAYS winds up scrambled, Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete