Friday, March 25, 2011

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Today I was at the store, and I saw a package of velveeta on sale, and the desire for broccoli cheddar soup hit. I am not typically a pasteurized-processed-cheese-food-product kind of girl... but when the moment hits, it hits.

So I picked up the block of velveeta, some carrots, and since I had the normal staples at home, including frozen broccoli that's on my list of things to use up in the next month (score!), I was set.

Last year, I had a similar craving, and found a knock off recipe for Panera Bread's version of this soup. It was to die for! So, today I re-created it. So worth it.

Here's the link :Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Ingredients: 


1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups chicken stock or bouillon
1/2 pound fresh broccoli
1 cup carrots, julienned
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese

8 ounces velveeta, cubed


Saute onion in butter. Set aside. Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half (this is called making a roux). Add the chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes. 

Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup should be thickened by now. Pour in batches into blender and puree. Return to pot over low heat and add the cheese; stir until well blended. Stir in the nutmeg and serve.








No comments:

Post a Comment