Friday, March 25, 2011

Apple Pie Caramel Apples

A while ago my roommate S and I went to Park City. While there we went to the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and had delicious caramel apples. Shelly got a snickers one, and I got an Apple Pie one. It was so delicious, but it was definitely a splurge. $5 for one apple... ouch.

But making them on my own with stuff I mostly have at home already, good idea!

(Pictures coming eventually...I took them, just haven't put the on the computer yet.)

I googled (which is how I find most of what I want to make), and found this website: The Cooking of Joy
Her recipe seemed to be the closest to what I was looking for, and Oh man, it was delicious! The only change I made was using granny smith rather than braeburn apples.

Here's what you'll need:

3 Granny Smith Apples
1 bag Werther's soft caramels. (Next time, for cost effectiveness I will probably buy the bulk type of caramels, but these were so good! and on sale.) About 10 squares per apple for the first, 5 each after that. (I had 25 squares and made 3 apples)
1-2 tsp water
4oz white chocolate. I had almond bark, so I used 2 squares.
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
a few shakes of cinnamon
3 Popsicle sticks. (I used kebab sticks broken in half-- non broken part in the apple)



First, wash, dry, stick a stick in the apples, and chill the apples so the caramel will stick. (One website I saw suggested sanding the apples a little bit to rough up the surface for the same result.)

Unwrap the caramels and put in a microwave safe bowl. Add 1-2 tsp water (start with one see if it needs more) and microwave it on 50% power for 30 seconds. Stir and if it's not melted and smooth, continue in 20 second increments at 50% power.

Dip your apples in the caramel, using a spoon to cover the apple with caramel. Also, using the side of the bowl, or a knife, scrape off the caramel from the bottom of the apple.Place on a greased plate (this works better than waxed paper.) Stick in the freezer to chill till the caramel isn't sticky to the touch.

While apples are chilling, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon, and melt the white chocolate on 50% power till it is melted.

Try to push any of the caramel that has dripped to the bottom back onto the apple.

Now, you've got to work quick (as evidenced by my pictures I definitely did not work fast enough)

Dip the apples in the white chocolate then, before they harden, dip them in the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture. Put back on the plate and back in the freezer to set, but don't let them freeze!



Cut 2 parallel cuts on either side of the core, turn 90 degrees and do the same thing (you'll have 8 pieces and a core) Then bask in the sweet, crunchy, chewy, cinnamony, sweet deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment