Monday, June 27, 2011

Chinese extravaganza! (now with pictures)

So here, I have a lack of friends. (Don't cry for me...COME VISIT!) But I have an 8 year old and a 10 year old kind of at my mercy. For example, on Wednesday we have the maids come, and so we like to get out of the house. This means I get to choose a museum to go to :)

It also means that tonight, when I decided I was craving chinese food, that I could force the children to make it with me!

So I made Fried Rice, ala Sister Okabe. And we made shuijiaos (swey jows)-- pot stickers! (though apparently the name shuijiao is just for the boiled kind and I fried some of them... I think the kids enjoyed it,

My dad served his mission in Taiwan, and one of the things we do on a semi-regular basis in our house is make shuijiaos. I came across this recipe recently, and it piqued my desire to make some. I talked to my mom this morning and she told me that Dad always said 1/3 lean beef, 1/3 pork and 1/3 cabbage. This recipe used 1/3 sausage rather than just pork, and it was delicious!

1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb sausage (just jimmy dean regular sausage)
1/2 head of cabbage shredded
2 cups carrots shredded
2-3 green onions
a largish scoop of minced garlic
a medium scoop of minced ginger

You mix all this together then wrap it up in wanton/pot sticker wrappers (check out the farm girl's recipe/pictures)

At home we always boiled them, for 10 ish minutes (you want to make sure they're done so you don't get raw pork...). Farm Girl give instructions on how to fry them.
Boiled

ALSO, I LOVE her dipping sauce, it way good... Just one part rice wine vinegar, one part soy sauce, and then I added more garlic/ginger, and you could add hot sauce for a kick if you want to.


B voted that he liked the boiled ones better, and I think I do too; they tasted like home. K and dad liked the fried ones.

Now I just need some dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment